In today’s era, we post on social media any chance we can get. The important thing to realize is that if you are involved in an accident, you will likely be enticed to update your friends, family, and followers about the event. However, it is critical that you avoid doing so as much as possible. Continue reading to learn more and reach out to our skilled Panama City personal injury attorneys. We are on your side.
What are the dos and don’ts of social media after filing a personal injury claim?
Be sure to do the following:
If you were hurt because of another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover damages for the burdens you have sustained. Unfortunately, the negligent party’s insurance company and his or her attorney will likely work to prevent you from obtaining the compensation you need and deserve. Many times, they will use your social media posts to demonstrate that you are not as injured as you claim, or that you are not injured at all and are instead trying to commit insurance fraud. The best way to avoid this is by:
- Set your accounts to private as soon as the accident occurs and keep them private throughout the duration of the claims process.
- Ask your friends and family not to post about you
- The accounts belonging to your friends and family may be monitored, too.
Be sure not to:
- Post anything
- Your remarks can easily be misinterpreted and used against you.
- Assume being private protects you
- Setting your accounts to private can help, but it is not a certain method.
- Assume deleting posts means they are gone
- The things we post on the internet are permanent. Even your deleted posts can be accessed.
- Accept new followers
- A new follower may be an insurance agent or attorney attempting to access your information.
If you post on social media during the claims process, you can seriously damage your chance to recover the compensation you need to heal and move forward. Reach out to our firm today to obtain competent legal representation. We are here to help.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.