Part of celebrating the Fourth of July traditionally includes gathering with pool parties, barbecues, and firework displays. While these are exciting ways to celebrate the birth of our nation, it is important to do so carefully. This is because fireworks, at 2000 degrees fahrenheit, can be very dangerous in the event that they are used improperly. Anyone using fireworks this up and coming Fourth of July should be sure to implement the proper safety precautions to keep themselves and others safe this holiday.
What are Tips for Safe Preparation?
It is understandable to be eager to set off fireworks right away after purchasing them. However, it is important to take a step back and be sure you are preparing them safely. Safety tips to keep in mind during preparation can include the following:
- Do not buy fireworks that come in brown paper. They are for professionals and should not be used in small neighborhoods.
- Make sure adults are present and children never access fireworks alone
- Keep water nearby, such as a hose, in the event that a fire starts
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never light fireworks in a glass or metal container
- Be sure that fireworks are legal in your area before buying them
- Keep your pets inside so they do not become scared or hurt
What do I Need to Know About Lighting Fireworks?
In addition to pre-display safety precautions, there are also extra measures that must be implemented when you are ready to light the fireworks. Doing the following things can help to prevent injuries from being sustained in the process of igniting them:
- Wear eye protection at all times
- Only light one firework at a time
- Never light fireworks indoors
- Never light fireworks in your hand
- Be sure all spectators are at a safe distance away from the display
- Quickly back a safe distance away after lighting the display
- Do not throw or point fireworks at another person
- Never pick up and relight a firework if it did not properly combust
- After a firework goes off, wait 20 minutes then douse it with cool water
- Never consume drugs or alcohol while lighting fireworks
Contact our Firm
To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.