As hurricane season approaches, it is important to ensure that you and your family are prepared. Read on and reach out to our firm today to learn more about what measures you can take to keep you, your family, and your home safe. Our skilled Panama City hurricane insurance claim attorneys are on your side.
What steps should I take before a storm?
- Create a plan: It is important to make a plan with your family before a hurricane strikes that could permit you to make the most of the situation in the event that any damage is done to your home or possessions.
- Keep your documents safe: Hurricanes and tropical storms can result in trees landing on houses, flooding occurring, and more. It is because of this that it is essential to keep all of your important documents in a safe location that you can readily access once the storm is over. This should include your homeowners’ insurance policy.
- Take inventory: Be sure to complete an inventory of your property. The fastest and easiest way to do so is by taking thorough photos of the inside and outside of the property. These pictures can cover broad ground, such as the walls and flooring. However, it can be beneficial to take photos of specific items you own too, like furniture, appliances, electronics, etc. It may also be beneficial to photograph the barcodes on these products so they can easily be appraised if any damage is done during the storm.
What items should I keep in my disaster kit?
While expecting an upcoming storm, you should think about what should be kept on hand during this time. The Florida Division of Emergency Management advises that a well-stocked emergency preparedness kit should last a minimum of seven days. Your kit should change based on your and your family’s specific needs, but some general items include the following:
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Cooking supplies
- First aid kits, prescription medication, and other necessary medicines
- Toiletries and cleaning supplies
- A battery-operated radio
- Pillows, blankets, sleeping bags
- Special items as per each individual’s (or pet’s) needs
If you have any questions or concerns regarding hurricane season and the best ways to prepare, contact our firm to speak with an experienced and knowledgeable attorney.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.