Just because you are a welcomed guest of a private home does not necessarily mean that the premises are safe enough to enter. Unfortunately, a homeowner may have failed to clear potentially hazardous conditions from their property before greeting you. As a result, you may be made a victim of a slip and fall accident and subsequently receive serious, if not fatal, injuries. Continue reading to learn what types of damage you may recover from the injuries you incurred in a private home and how one of the experienced Panama City slip & fall accident attorneys can help you in doing so.
What types of injuries might I incur after an accident in a private home?
The interior of a private home may have loose carpeting or rugs throughout its hallways. Or, the exterior of a private home may have broken steps or handrails at its entranceway. Whatever the specific case may be, present hazards may lead to your incurring serious injuries. Examples of the types of injuries you might incur may include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Serious lacerations or abrasions to the skin.
- Serious back and spinal cord injuries, possibly even resulting in paralysis.
- Serious head injuries, possibly as severe as a traumatic brain injury.
- Broken arms, legs, or other bones.
- Sprained or torn muscles.
- A dog bite injury.
What types of damages can I recover after a slip and fall in a private home?
Firstly, after your slip and fall accident on the negligent party’s premises, you may file a claim with your homeowner’s insurance provider. However, their policy may only cover a portion of the damages that you are seeking to recover. This is because the insurance provider may be notorious for worrying about their bottom-line finances more than your ability to receive a fair amount for your injuries.
In an instance such as this, you must not settle for an amount that is less than what you require to reach a full recovery. Rather, you must gain legal representation and seek further financial compensation via legal action. With a slip and fall accident claim, you may attempt to recover the following types of damages:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses, prescription drugs, and rehabilitative therapies.
- Past, present, and future lost wages and earning capacity.
- Past, present, and future domestic services and home healthcare services.
- The cost of medical devices and the installation of handicap-accessible fixtures throughout your home.
- Your physical pain and suffering.
- Your mental and emotional anguish.
- Your diminished quality of life.
You must not question your instinct to retain the services of one of the skilled Panama City personal injury attorneys. Our team at Manuel & Thompson, PA will work to determine which legal option best suits you.