There are few things worse than sustaining a serious injury at the hands of a negligent party, however, this is all the more true when it is your child who is injured. Please continue reading and speak with our Florida personal injury attorneys to learn more about whether you can sue on behalf of your child and how our firm can help you through the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do if my child is hurt in an accident?

If your child is hurt in an accident, it is critical that you immediately begin documenting the incident. Try and take the following steps, if possible:

  1. Call the police.
  2. If your child was injured on someone else’s property, notify the property owner/store manager. If your child was injured in an auto accident, ask the driver for his/her insurance information.
  3. Ask anyone who saw the accident for their name and phone number.
  4. Take pictures of the scene of the accident.
  5. Ensure your child receives medical treatment immediately.
  6. Hire a knowledgeable Panama City personal injury attorney.

Can I sue on behalf of my child after an injury in Florida?

Fortunately, Florida law does permit parents to sue on behalf of their child if their child is injured due to another party’s negligence. These lawsuits generally have two parts. First, you will sue for economic damages, which include financial damages incurred as a result of the accident, such as medical bills, overnight stays at hospitals, therapy/rehabilitation, lost wages, and more. From here, you can also sue for non-economic damages, which include damages such as pain and suffering, the loss of enjoyment of life, disfigurement, disability, and more.

How long will I have to sue on behalf of my child after an accident in Florida?

If your child is injured in an accident, you should take legal action as soon as possible so our firm can begin working on receiving the compensation your child needs to heal. That being said, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Florida, is, under most circumstances, four years, which means that generally, you will have four years from the date of the accident to sue the liable party. However, if you wait past the four-year mark, you will most likely be permanently barred from suing. Our firm is here to help you today.

Contact our experienced Florida firm

Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.