Speeding can cause severe damage and injuries to many people and things. If you were injured as a result of a speeder, it is in your best interest to reach out to one of our experienced Panama City auto accident attorneys.
What are the dangers of speeding?
Speeding has been a cause of about one-third of all motor vehicle fatalities for more than two decades. In fact, speeders were a contributing factor in 26% of all traffic fatalities in 2019.
It is important to recognize that speed also affects your safety even when you are driving at the speed limit but too fast for road conditions, for example, during bad weather, when a road is under repair, or in an area at night that is not adequately lit.
Not only does speeding put the life of the speeder in danger but also people on the road, including law enforcement officers. It is critical to understand the seriousness of speeding. If you were injured as a result of a speeding driver, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Give our firm a call today to learn more about your options.
What are the consequences of speeding?
While speeding is against the law in Florida, there are other consequences that are just as, if not more severe, including:
- Reduced effectiveness of occupant protection equipment;
- Increased stopping distance after the driver perceives a danger;
- Greater potential for loss of vehicle control;
- Increased degree of crash severity leading to more severe injuries;
- Economic implications of a speed-related crash; and
- Increased fuel consumption/cost.
What should I do if there is a speeder/aggressive driver on the road?
Speeding affects many other people including other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists. If you are on the road with a speeder, it is important to keep the following in mind:
- If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, move over and let them.
- Provide speeding drivers with plenty of space. Speeding drivers may lose control of their vehicles more easily.
- Modify your driving accordingly. Speeding is tied to aggressive driving. If a speeding driver is tailgating you or trying to engage you in risky driving, make the decision to safely navigate your vehicle out of the way.
- Contact the police if you believe a driver is following you or harassing you.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.