The Fourth of July is around the corner and many people will celebrate the holiday with a firework display. While lighting fireworks is a fun tradition, it can also be dangerous. As a result, it is important to keep yourself and others safe when it comes to lighting fireworks. Read on to learn more about firework safety in Florida.
What are Tips for Safe Preparation?
Many people do not realize how dangerous fireworks can be. As a result, it may be tempting to rush into the process and begin lighting them without first doing your research and preparing the scene. To prepare a safe setting for fireworks, it is important to adhere to the following:
- Do not buy fireworks that come in brown paper. They are for professionals and should not be used in small neighborhoods.
- Make sure adults are present and children never access fireworks alone
- Keep water nearby, such as a hose, in the event that a fire starts
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never light fireworks in a glass or metal container
- Be sure that fireworks are legal in your area before buying them
- Keep your pets inside so they do not become scared or hurt
What are Tips for Safely Lighting Fireworks?
There are numerous safety measures to take when it comes to lighting fireworks, as well as disposing of them. In order to safely light fireworks, you should be sure to:
- Wear eye protection at all times
- Only light one firework at a time
- Never light fireworks indoors
- Never light fireworks in your hand
- Be sure all spectators are at a safe distance away from the display
- Quickly back a safe distance away after lighting the display
- Do not throw or point fireworks at another person
- Never pick up and relight a firework if it did not properly combust
- After a firework goes off, wait 20 minutes then douse it with cool water
- Never consume drugs or alcohol while lighting fireworks
If you have been injured in a firework accident due to another party’s negligence, you may have a valid premises liability case. Reach out to speak with an experienced and dedicated attorney about your case today.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.