Property owners have a legal obligation to maintain their grounds so that it is safe for others to come onto. This is especially so when they have a pool. While these are fun and exciting amenities to have, they can also be hazardous if they are not properly taken care of. Failure to do so can result in serious accidents that can threaten lives. Continue reading below to learn more about how this can be prevented and contact a Florida personal injury attorney if you or a loved one was harmed in a swimming pool accident.
Pool Safety Precautions
Swimming pool accidents can be avoided if the property owner is sure to abide by all safety laws and implement the right precautions. This can include the following:
- Never leave a child unattended in the water or near it
- If the pool is deep and people cannot stand, be sure they are strong swimmers before letting them in the pool
- Stay away from drains and be sure pools have drain covers
- Install proper barriers, covers, alarms, and fencing on and around the pool
- Stow away portable ladders when the pool is not in use. Children who cannot swim are often attracted to pools. Removing the ladders can prevent them from climbing into the pool and harming themselves.
- Pool owners may wish to know how to perform CPR just in case someone is drowning
- Always swim sober
- Avoid electrocution by prohibiting electronic devices near the poor
- Let swimmers know where there are shallow areas where they cannot dive
Recovering Compensation for Swimming Pool Accidents
If a pool owner does not take care of the grounds and an accident happens as a result, the injured party or their loved ones can pursue legal action to hold them responsible. This can be done with a personal injury lawsuit in which they are required to prove negligence. This can be done by gathering evidence that shows their actions directly caused the accident and the injuries that were sustained. Helpful evidence can include pictures or videos of the pool, medical documentation of any injuries, and witnesses to the incident.
Contact our Firm
To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.