The month of May is National Bicycle Safety Month. It is because of this that it is the perfect time to discuss the precautions that should be taken when riding a bicycle to ensure your safety. While bikes are simple and fun methods of transportation, they can also be dangerous. This is because they offer riders next to no protection from any external hazards. That is why, when they are involved in accidents, it can result in devastating injuries or even death. The following are important safety tips to remember when going out to ride a bike:
- Make sure the bike is ready to be ridden before taking it out. Like any other vehicle, bikes have their own parts that must work in conjunction with each other so that it works properly. To make sure it is in good condition, check the brakes, fill the tires to the appropriate air pressure, and more.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic. Bikers should also use the right hand signals so that other vehicles on the road know where they are going. This may be if they are making a turn or switching lanes.
- Always wear a helmet. While any helmet does the job, it is best to wear one that meets the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards.
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. This includes obeying all traffic signs and traffic lights, not biking under the influence, and more.
- Make yourself visible. Wear bright colors while riding and wear reflective gear at night so that other vehicles can see you as you go.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. It is the job of the rider to do everything they can to prevent an accident from happening, such as paying attention to their surroundings and following all rules of the road.
These are all important tips to remember when you decide to take your bike out for a ride. They can help to protect you from sustaining serious injuries. While this is true, the reality of the situation is that an accident can happen regardless. If an accident happens due to negligence, injured parties can pursue legal action to recover compensation for damages. In doing so, be sure to retain the services of an experienced Florida personal injury attorney for assistance.
Contact our Firm
To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.