Car accidents are common. While many people know what to do if they are involved in a car accident while driving, not as many people are aware of what to do as a passenger. Often, passengers are injured in car accidents, and it is important to know what to do to protect yourself and other passengers when it comes to car accidents in Florida.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can be caused by a number of different factors. In some cases, an accident is caused by poor weather conditions, hazardous road conditions, or faulty car parts. But, for the most part, accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common examples of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
Can I Recover Compensation if I am Injured as a Passenger?
If you are injured in an accident due to the negligence of another party, in this case, the driver of the car you are in, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to do so, there are a few important steps to take:
- Call 911. The police can file an accident report which should detail who was driving, the cause of the accident, and more. The police can also conduct chemical tests and interview witnesses.
- Document the scene. Each person involved in the accident should take their own photos and videos of the damage done to any cars/property that has been involved in the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts. Often, those involved in an accident have differing accounts of what happened. Someone who saw the accident occur may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention. It is important to go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility. This will allow you to ensure that your injuries are treated properly while also providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Florida, contact our firm to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.