We post every aspect of our lives on social media. Especially now, COVID-19 has made Zoom calls, online hangouts, and social media posts an even bigger part of our lives. If you are involved in an accident, you will likely be tempted to update your friends, family, and followers about the event. But, it is important that you avoid doing so at all costs. Read on to learn more about the dos and dont’s of posting on social media.
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Unfortunately, the negligent party’s insurance company and his or her attorney will likely work to avoid giving you the compensation you deserve. Often, they will use your social media posts to prove that you are not as injured as you claim, or that you are not injured at all and are instead attempting to commit insurance fraud. To avoid this, be sure to:
- Set your accounts to private
- As soon as an accident occurs, set your accounts to private.
- Ask your friends and family not to post about you
- The accounts belonging to your friends and family may be scrutinized as well.
- Post anything
- Your words can easily be twisted and used against you.
- Assume being private protects you
- Setting your accounts to private can help, but it is not a foolproof plan.
- Assume deleting posts means they’re gone
- The things we post on the internet are permanent. Even your deleted posts can be accessed.
- Accept new followers
- A new follower may be an insurance agent or attorney attempting to access your information.
By posting on social media, you can seriously damage your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve. Don’t let this happen. You will need an experienced attorney on your side. Reach out today to discuss your case. Our firm is here to advocate for you every step of the way.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.