Nowadays, we spend a lot of time in the supermarket. For many of us, grocery shopping is one of the only times we leave the house. But, this mundane errand may be more dangerous than you expect. Supermarket accidents occur often and can be serious. Read on to learn more.
Common Causes of Supermarket Accidents
Supermarket accidents can be caused by any number of factors. But, the most common reasons these accidents occur include:
- Outdoor elements
- Loose produce
- Parking lot conditions
- Falling products
- Unattended items and debris on the floor
What to do in the Event of an Injury
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you will need to fulfill the burden of proof. This means you will have to provide evidence that some form of negligence occurred to cause your accident. To do this, you will want to:
- Seek medical attention.
- It is important to call 911, visit your doctor, or go to an urgent care facility. This will ensure that your injuries are cared for while simultaneously documenting the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Notify the manager.
- The supermarket manager will file an accident report. If possible, obtain a copy of this report.
- Document the scene.
- One of the most important things you can do is take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident.
- Obtain the contact information of any bystanders.
- If anyone witnessed your accident occur, obtain their contact information. They may be able to provide witness statements later on.
- Hire a skilled personal injury attorney.
- It can be difficult to provide proof of an injury. A personal injury attorney can help you gather further proof. For example, a lawyer may be able to gain security footage of the incident.
- Make sure to file your claim on time.
- In Florida, you will generally have four years to file your personal injury claim. This may feel like a long time, but it is important that you do not wait too long to file. If you do not file within four years, you will likely lose the opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a supermarket accident, contact our firm to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.