Many of us stayed home throughout 2020 in order to help stop the spread of COVID-19. This meant less traffic on the roads. Despite this, car accidents rose in 2020. According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2020. As a result, it is important to know how these accidents are occurring and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Florida.
What the Most Common Causes of Accidents?
Car accidents can happen at any time, for any reason. Some of these reasons include faulty car parts, poor road conditions, and bad weather. But, for the most part, car accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common instances of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
What do I do if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you are injured in a car accident, there are some important steps to take. If possible:
- Call the police. They can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Take photos and videos of the damage. It is important to document the scene of the accident and the damage to all vehicles and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts. Gather the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident, as they may have more information or the ability to provide witness statements.
- Seek medical attention. You should go to the doctor immediately after your accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents/ bills.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Florida, contact our firm to speak with an experienced attorney today.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.