Motorcycle accidents can leave an individual with serious life-long injuries and burdens. That is why if you have been hurt, it is in your best interest to reach out to a skilled Florida personal injury attorney to discuss the specifics of your case and your options. At Manuel & Thompson, P.A., our legal team is dedicated to ensuring that you receive the compensation you deserve.
How do motorcycle accidents occur in Florida?
In Florida, motorcycle accidents can occur in several different ways. Sometimes they are a result of inclement weather conditions, poorly maintained roads, or faulty mechanical parts. However, more commonly, motorcycle accidents are the result of driver negligence. Some of the most common types of driver negligence include the following:
- Ignoring blind spots
- Driving while sleepy or fatigued
- Unsafely changing lanes
- Disregarding traffic lights, signs, or all other rules and regulations of the road
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Are motorcyclists covered under PIP?
Unfortunately, in Florida, personal injury protection (PIP) does not extend to motorcyclists. This means, that unlike with car accidents, your policy will often not cover medical bills and lost wages after an accident. Therefore, if you are not covered, you will likely be held liable for your own medical expenses, except if you have your own health insurance or are able to collect damages from the person that is responsible for your accident.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, you will need to retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
How can I recover compensation after a motorcycle accident?
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident and would like to pursue legal action, it is your responsibility to satisfy the burden of proof. Essentially, this means that you will need to provide as much evidence as possible in order to bolster your claim. Be sure to take the following steps immediately after your accident, if you are able:
- Call 911. The police will be able to dispatch an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident. In some instances, motorcyclists can wear bodycams so that they have the footage in the event that an accident occurs.
- Seek medical attention and ensure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents pointing to the severity and origin of your injuries.
- Reach out to an experienced Florida personal injury attorney that can help you obtain more evidence that can be a key component to your case.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.