While some auto accidents are simply due to human error, one of the common causes is driver negligence. These accidents often have devastating outcomes and can cause severe, life-changing injuries. It is because of this that injured parties can pursue legal action in order to recover compensation for damages. To do so, it is important to know what to do if you find yourself in an auto accident. Continue reading below to learn more and contact a Florida personal injury attorney for help with your case.
What do I do After an Accident?
Regardless of the type of vehicle that is involved in an accident, it is important to implement the following steps in order to get the most out of the situation and help a future claim:
- Call the police even if the other party involved tells you not to. The police can keep the scene safe, draft an official police report, take witness statements, etc.
- Do not apologize, as it can sometimes be seen as an admission of fault. Instead, be polite and avoid apologies.
- Take pictures or video of the scene of the accident, including any broken glass, deployed airbags, skid marks, bloodstains, inclement weather or poor road conditions.
- Write down the contact information of any witnesses as well as the registration information of the vehicles involved.
- Seek medical attention immediately. This should be done even if you do not feel injured, as symptoms can manifest later on.
Pursuing Legal Action
When a person becomes injured in an auto accident, they can pursue legal action against the negligent party. This can be done by filing a personal injury claim in which the injured party must prove negligence occurred and directly caused the injuries they sustained. Evidence that can be beneficial to back up a claim can include medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or video of the scene, witness statements, a police report, and more. That is why it is crucial to implement the steps above. If they are successful, compensation may be awarded as coverage for any damages relating to the accident.
Contact our Firm
To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.