Usually, we get into our cars every day with little concern for safety. We assume that if we follow the rules of the road and wear our seatbelts, all will go as planned. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Car accidents are a common occurrence, so it is important to know what causes them, how to avoid them, and what to do in the event of an accident.
What the Most Common Causes of Accidents?
Car accidents can happen at any time, for any reason. Some of these reasons include faulty car parts, poor road conditions, and bad weather. But, for the most part, car accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common instances of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
What do I do if I am Involved in an Accident?
- Call the police. They can help direct traffic around the accident, fill out a report, take chemical tests, etc.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you do not feel injured, you should still go to the hospital. It is possible to have sustained an injury without realizing it, or to have any injury that does not show up until later on.
- Take photos and videos of the damage. It is important to document the scene of the accident and the damage to your car. Additionally, gather the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident, as they may have more information or the ability to provide witness statements.
- Refrain from apologizing. When you are involved in an accident, it may feel like a reflex to apologize. But, it is important that you do not. Apologizing can be seen as admitting blame, even if you are not at fault. In the same vein, you should not discuss the accident with anyone but the police, your doctors, and your personal injury attorney. It is especially important that you avoid posting on social media.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, make sure you reach out to a skilled personal injury attorney who can help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.