Many Floridians are able to swim year-round due to the weather. This means that it is especially important to know about pool accidents in Florida. Read on to learn more.
Who is Responsible for a Pool Accident in Florida?
Property owners have a legal responsibility to keep their properties safe. This applies to pools as well. There are a number of precautions pool owners are required to take. If a pool owner acts negligently, serious accidents can occur as a result. If this occurs, the pool owner can be considered negligent and held responsible.
What are Examples of Pool Owner Negligence?
When pool accidents occur, they are often due to pool owner negligence. To avoid accidents, pool owners should take the following precautions:
- Never leave a child unattended in the water or near it
- If the pool is deep and people cannot stand, be sure they are strong swimmers before letting them in the pool
- Stay away from drains and be sure pools have drain covers
- Install proper barriers, covers, alarms, and fencing on and around the pool
- Stow away portable ladders when the pool is not in use. Children who cannot swim are often attracted to pools. Removing the ladders can prevent them from climbing into the pool and harming themselves.
- Pool owners may wish to know how to perform CPR just in case someone is drowning
- Always swim sober
- Avoid electrocution by prohibiting electronic devices near the poor
- Let swimmers know where there are shallow areas where they cannot dive
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you wish to take legal action for an injury, you must do so within a certain amount of time. When it comes to a personal injury claim in Florida, the statute of limitations is generally four years from the date of the accident. This may sound like a long time, but it is important to take action as soon as possible. Failing to file in time will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve. Our firm is here to help with all of your personal injury needs.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.