How do car accidents occur in Florida?
Car accidents can occur for a number of reasons. However, in Florida, the most common trend of car accidents relates to driver negligence. Our firm has seen several instances of driver negligence, and some of the most common include the following:
- Making illegal turns
- Texting and driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
What are my options if I was hurt in a car accident?
If you were hurt in a car accident as a result of another’s negligence and you would like to pursue legal action, be sure to take the following steps:
- Call 911. The police will dispatch an ambulance, file an accident report, obtain witness testimony and perform chemical tests.
- It is also essential that you collect contact information from anyone who may have seen the accident. Witness testimony can be helpful evidence in your future personal injury claim.
- Take photos and videos of the damage to all vehicles involved in the crash.
- Seek medical treatment, even if you do not feel injured. In some instances, you can sustain an injury without knowledge, or have an injury that does not show symptoms until days or weeks later.
- Retain the services of a seasoned Florida personal injury attorney. An attorney will be able to help you organize your evidence into a powerful claim so that you can obtain the compensation you need.
How long do I have to file a claim for car accidents in Florida?
A car accident injury due to another’s negligence may qualify you for financial compensation. If you would like to pursue legal action, it is imperative that you promptly file your personal injury claim. In the state of Florida, the statute of limitations is four years. This means that you are expected to file your car accident claim within four years from the date of the accident in order to receive the compensation you deserve.
It is in your best interest to reach out to our firm as soon as possible to ensure that you are adhering to your claim’s deadlines. At Manuel & Thompson, our legal team is ready to help you navigate through this process.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.