When we ride in cars as passengers, we trust that the driver will use good judgment. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Florida and what to do if you are injured as a passenger.
Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents occur often. In some cases, these accidents are due to inclement weather, poor road conditions, faulty car parts, and more. But, the majority of car accidents are due to driver negligence. The most common causes of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
What do I do if I am Injured in a Florida Car Accident?
If you have been injured in a car accident, there are some important steps you should take. Immediately after your accident, be sure to:
- Call 911- The police can send an ambulance, keep the scene safe, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Seek medical attention- Some people attempt to recover at home, but this can be a big mistake. It is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, your injuries may not heal properly without the help of a doctor. Finally, going to the doctor can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- While waiting for the ambulance, document the scene- Take pictures of your injuries, as well as any damage done to the vehicles and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their name and contact information, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Contact an attorney- An experienced personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, such as police reports, security footage, and more.
If you have been injured in a car accident, you may need the help of a dedicated personal injury attorney. Reach out today to discuss your case.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.