People frequent parking lots nearly every day. If you were involved in a parking lot accident that left you injured physically, emotionally, and financially as a result of a property owner’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact our experienced Florida personal injury attorneys at Manuel & Thompson today.
What are the common causes of parking lot accidents in Florida?
Parking lot owners, like any other property owner, are responsible for maintaining a safe property for all visitors and passersby. If there is a hazardous condition in a parking lot that the owner knew of or should have known of, and an injury occurs as a result, the property owner may be held liable. Some of these hazardous conditions can include:
- Standing water
- Poor lighting
- Inadequate security
- Uneven pavement, cracks, potholes, and more
- Loose debris
- Slippery substances
What should I do if I am injured in a parking lot accident?
If you were injured in a parking lot accident and are considering filing a personal injury claim, you must begin collecting evidence to fulfill your burden of proof. The burden of proof means that the injured party has the responsibility of proving that the parking lot owner was negligent in maintaining safe grounds, which was a direct cause of your injuries. If you are able, follow these steps immediately after your accident:
- Call 911 – The police will file a report and will dispatch an ambulance to the scene of the accident.
- Take pictures of the hazardous conditions on the property.
- Gather contact information from any witnesses to the accident. They may be able to corroborate your story in the future if needed.
- Seek medical attention to properly treat your injuries. Ask your doctor for medical documentation that points to the origin and severity of your injuries.
- Retain an experienced Florida personal injury attorney to help you obtain additional evidence that can be key to your claim.
What can I recover from a parking lot accident?
If you have decided to take legal action against a parking lot owner, you may be entitled to financial compensation for the injuries you sustained. Ou legal team at Manuel & Thompson can help you win compensation for the physical, emotional, and financial burdens that you endured as a result of the accident. In Florida, those injured in a parking lot accident may be able to recover damages for:
- Lost wages
- Lost future wages
- Medical expenses
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Be sure to file your case within four years of the date of the accident to abide by Florida’s statute of limitations.
Contact our experienced Florida firm
Here at Manuel & Thompson, P.A., we understand the potentially devastating effect that an injury can have on an individual and his or her family, which is why we are dedicated to helping all those who’ve been injured due to no fault of their own. Our firm also proudly handles insurance disputes, hurricane claims, fire loss claims, commercial litigation, and construction law matters. To discuss your case with our experienced Panama City personal injury attorneys, contact Manuel & Thompson, P.A. today for your free consultation.